Previous Posts

Thursday, April 11, 2024

Things being what they are, I started an abbreviated, solo big trip today with a 5:25am departure from Port Orange, FL. I was on Dauphin Island, Alabama by early afternoon checking out some new birding territory.   High winds made shore birds a no-go and everything else was iffy at best.  But, managed to get things started with good looks at Summer Tanagers, Hooded Warblers and both Red- and White-eyed Vireos.

Several tanagers arrived during the late afternoon completely 'gassed' having completed their trip across the Gulf of Mexico.   Barn Swallows were sitting on the road exhausted from the heavy winds.




Having completed my birding activity for the day, I checked out nearby Bayou La Batre, the fabled home of Bubba Gump Shrimp.  As I snapped a quick cell phone shot of the shrimpin' boats, a fellow asked my name.  I said, "My name is Dan Jolley.  People call me Dan Jolley."  He seemed satisfied with my response.



No comments:

Post a Comment