Previous Posts

Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Today, we'll focus on the Arizona birds I have seen on this trip that are predominantly yellow or orange starting with the Black-headed Grosbeak.  


And the Bullock's Oriole.


And, a Scott's Oriole enjoying some grape jelly.


And, a similar but different Hooded Oriole.


One of my favorites is the colorful Western Tanager.


And, on Monday, this Olive Warbler became life bird #500!   I am looking to make an Elf Owl #504 tonight.


I have seen two Coatimundis on this trip.  The second one pulled down a hummingbird feeder to satisfy its sweet tooth.  I can respect that.



On Sunday, I encountered a birding tour group near Tucson while looking for the Five-striped Sparrow.  On Monday, they appeared while I was at a hotspot in Patagonia, AZ.  On Wednesday, they arrived at Miller Canyon near Sierra Vista, AZ as I was getting ready to leave that location.  So basically, those folks are paying about $2,500 each for a guide to drive them to the same locations I am hitting at no charge.  Being self-sufficient does have value although they are probably eating better than I am.

On a final note, the saguaro cacti have started blooming along with other cactus species making the Sonoran Desert one gigantic garden.



No comments:

Post a Comment